This time around, I wasn't too sure whether I liked London. When I arrived, I decided the city was way overcrowded for my liking.. and the tube station was on fire the minute I was about to leave the station.
During the meeting, I felt extremely lucky for the role I am having now - both in terms of depth and breadth of my role; the time is slipping away from me, but : live for the moment.
So I decided that I should make the most out of my trip in London and (at the recommendation of Daryl) watched musicals in London. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed myself at the Legally Blonde musical in the afternoon, and I was filled with high expectations for the sequel of Phantom of the Opera - Love Never Dies. Each theatre is specifically reserved for the showings of a single musical and plays run every night, with occasional performances occurring in the afternoon.
Legally Blonde
Having watched the movie, I found this absolutely refreshing and different from the movie. The songs were catchy and pop-ish - the set and props were very pink indeed, just like watching a Barbie doll and her house. This is by far my favourite song in the whole play.. except the lead actress is different; the lady playing Elle Woods is Brian McFadden's sister (he was from Westlife). All cast performed equally well, excellent team work.
Love Never Dies (sequel to Phantom of the Opera)
Highly impressive in theatrical effects. I was sitting in the front row, and the actor playing the Phantom amazed me - he captured the full essence of the Phantom - in terms of the intensity of the character and the enigmatic personality. When he sang, you could feel the voice tugging at your heartstrings.. and he definitely stole the show, the others paled in comparison. The actress playing Christine was great only towards the end when she had a solo singing an aria, where she rose up to her role and displayed her resplendent vocal range. Most of the audience in the house gave the two of them a standing ovation, which they very much deserved.
Wicked
Generally well-performed, possibly just not my cup of tea. I appreciated the script - the theme that the truth is far from what appears on the surface, and linking it to our pre-judgement from the Wizard of Oz story. The story plays on stereotypes I liked the setting and the costumes, somehow my attention drifted off mid-way, and there were too many characters.. Occasionally the tunes caught my attention, and I was drawn back in. Yet it wasn't enough to sustain it. Some catchy tunes included 'Popular' (nicely performed), 'I'm Not That Girl'.
In between, I squeezed some time out to swing by Hampstead, to look for John Keats' house. John Keats died at the age of 25, and one can find the house to be arranged with some items from the time he lived there and furniture arranged as much as possible to how it might have looked back then. I found the environment pleasant, and a sweet neighbourhood to be in. The view of the garden from the sitting room gives off a calm effect, and said to be a place where John Keats enjoyed very much when he was resting from his illness. He had been nursing his health from tuberculosis; unfortunately he succumbed to it at 25. There are poetry readings held in the house occasionally on Saturdays.. which I missed since I was there on a Friday. Nonetheless, a good place to check out.
it's 5:29 AM now on Sunday, January 23, 2011
Globetrekker..
Planning next destination: Ohio, USA; Mexico City, Mexico
Been to: Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Brazil, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Tunisia, Germany, England, India.