<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9360881?origin\x3dhttp://nightsoliloquy.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
contemplation
I'm almost three months abroad now. I may have spent time relaxing, moving around.. my thoughts are uncluttered, and i relish this clarity.

My Singaporean Identity. Funny as it seems, I am more Singaporean now than I used to admit. I may be atypical of the population when I'm back home, but now I am behaving more Singaporean than I am seen back home. I miss the Singaporean food, I scramble for Asian foodstuffs and I love to hang out with Singaporeans whenever I have the chance to. I analyze more about my home country than I used to, I am trying to make sense of the place where I grew up. Why do we have this accent? Who has this accent (the locals who study in primary and secondary schools)? How many of us are there in Singapore?
My years in AIESEC as a leader. I took a step back - no longer an official leader with a title, and the anonymity to some extent delights me. At the same time, I see leaders around me in the business context and I can see how much more I can improve in terms of personal touch and connection with others. This hasn't been my biggest strength - but it's never too late to start.. combine it with my strengths!
Europe. My impression of Europe prior to travelling and living on this continent has dramatically taken a complete turn. I guess I romanticized Europe very much, believing that the culture is rich, the fashion sense is stronger, and everything in Western Europe is well-established and comparable or exceeding that of Asia. I've begun to see for myself the ups and downs of residing in this side of the world. Don't get me wrong, I am not disappointed in this continent, but the notions of the countries here have become more realistic and I truly appreciate some lessons in life that I would not have been able to get just by staying in Singapore. (note: such as work-life balance. Take things easy, stress is not a solution. Build your friendships with the team prior to the leadership role) I haven't had cultural shock - not very much. Simply put - the activities and hobbies of those in Europe does not completely match my personal preferences and I sometimes feel like a fish out of water. For these activities where I do not fit, I pursue my own hobbies. It's nice to find your own little space in this vast world.
Family. Nothing beats your family. They are the best form of support in this world.


it's 4:13 AM now on Friday, September 24, 2010



Globetrekker..
Planning next destination:
Ohio, USA; Mexico City, Mexico Been to: Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Brazil, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Tunisia, Germany, England, India.
Goodbye
  • Alexa
  • Jess
  • Laura
  • Marinovsky
  • Shubhangi
  • Wan Xin

    resources
    X X X X
    slayerette